Gradually and suddenly: how VAT is slowly killing off traditional private education

Mace | 5th June 2026 | Comment, Politics
Graeme Robertson/Getty Images
Graeme Robertson/Getty Images

Latest Dept of Education figures reveal over 40,000 independent school pupils dropping out since Labour's VAT raid. But, The Mace argues, surging fees, an arms race for facilities and a marketing drive for "overseas" pupils, has long made the traditional private school model unsustainable.

When the controversial VAT hike on independent schools was first introduced, Labour said the measure was designed to make more funding available for more teachers. Most people already knew this was a smoke-and-mirrors excuse as the real reason was political class warfare – especially on the aspirant and hard-working professional classes – at its most naked, egregious and often hypocritical.

“Private schools prop up the class system in society,” said Labour’s Diane Abbott, while also admitting she sent her son to a fee-paying school.

The latest private school closure and pupil drop-out figures last week from Independent Schools Council, basing their findings on a survey of its own member schools, make for celebratory, lip-smacking reading if you are a signed-up Labour class warrior – such as John McDonnell, MP for Hayes and Harlington – who believes private education is immoral. He has backed a ban on the existence of any private schools arguing that “private schools don’t need to exist, and should not exist.”

Labour’s Waterloo Victory

According to a report in The Times, the number of pupils in independent schools is down by more than 30,000, with some year groups reporting a 7% drop in attendance. However, these findings disguise an even bleaker national picture. The Department for Education published its own figures revealing a more than 7.5% fall in numbers — down by 43,126 …

Subscribe to The Mace

Join the member community shaping British politics and stay ahead of what's really happening in the world of politics and public affairs, with expert analysis, breaking news, and insider insights from Westminster and Brussels. The Mace is the leading news source and resource for the government affairs industry, offering required reading and lobby intelligence for professionals.

To see what you are missing out on by not subscribing to The Mace, click here to download our full membership info-pack. This includes having no paywall on op-ed content or profiles/interviews, allowing professional profiles to be read with maximum impact and visibility by government, special advisers, MPs, peers, civil servants, and policy and political decision-makers.



The Cummings Revolution – help or hindrance?

Ed Amory | October 6, 2020

Ed Amory

The Jackdaw

Marie Le Conte | October 5, 2020

Parliament may be up and running but what’s the point of Westminster if all those endless drinks receptions are still forbidden? All work and no play is no

Diary: The Hack is Back

Peter Cardwell | October 3, 2020

Peter Cardwell is enjoying his retirement from SpAd life

Erskine: Bernard Jenkin MP

Mace | October 1, 2020

Attempts to modernise the civil service, one of the great institutions of state, will put unnecessary strain on the UK constitution

The Diary of a Data Miner

Adam Solomons | March 8, 2020

Mindfuck, by Christopher Wylie, reviewed by Adam Solomons

Thirty Women: Thirty Powerful Voices

Benjamin Goodwin | March 8, 2020

She Speaks: The Power of Women's Voices, by Yvette Cooper, reviewed by Benjamin Goodwin

Constituency vitae: David Lammy on Tottenham

David Lammy | February 3, 2020

The north London constituency is not without its problems, admits David Lammy, but it remains a destination second to none…

Protected: Hunt in Hampstead

Ferdie Rous | January 31, 2020

There is no excerpt because this is a protected post.

The Lesson of Munich

Tim Congdon | January 28, 2020

The Establishment has been wrong before, notes Tim Congdon. Is it so crazy, he asks, to think that it might be wrong again?

Police must protect the public not just catch the bad guy

Mace | January 24, 2020

Rotherham's MP, Sarah Champion, chair of an important parliamentary group on adult survivors of child sexual abuse, wants to see some change at the MoJ